Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Strawberry Cake



I've made this cake for years and could have sworn that I'd posted the recipe. But apparently I never have. I made this yesterday for Ben, Jen and the kids and snagged a photo before we devoured it. And now I'm making sure that I post the recipe.

Ingredients
  • One stick of butter, cut in pieces plus about another T softened for the pie plate
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 C whole milk
  • 1 t pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1 t pure vanilla extract
  • 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 350.
  • Grease a big pie pan with the softened butter (I use a large glass pie pan with high sides).
  • Sift together the flour and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
  • In a food processor, pulse until the sugar/butter is mixed to the point of large gravel. 
  • Add in the egg, vanilla and milk gradually and process till the mixture is about the consistency of peas.
  • Put the butter/sugar mixture in a large mixing bowl and gradually stir in the sifted mixture until just blended. 
  • Pour into the pie pan.
  • Remove the green tops from the strawberries, and slice them lengthwise.
  • Place the berries on the pie mixture cut side down and completely cover the pie. I covered the pie thoroughly in the photo of the cake, and you can see how they shrink so really cover that surface and gently push each strawberry into the mixture. 
  • Bake for 10 minutes then reduce the heat to 325 and bake another 50 or 60 minutes. Generally 50 minutes is enough when I make this.
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.